Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Raking and Sonic

Hello All!

I am glad again to be writing you. I really do look forward to it, because it helps me feel like a normal person. Which at times I don't want to be and others I miss it.

So this week has been very interesting. We have been busy. We are seeing small miracles here. One is people are giving us referals. We are going to start teaching a family from Mexico that speaks spanish and an Indian language that cannot read and write and lives like an hour away. So I am excited about that one! Also yesterday our RS president told everyone how the missionaries have changed her life. She spoke of how she felt the spirit when they first came to her house. She then told everyone to make a list with 5 people and start praying about who is ready for the gospel. That was awesome! Most of the branch are converts and some of them are so amazing.

So some stories. So we go visit this less active family every week....I still haven't met them. They are both returned missionaries. Since they never open the door we noticed that they needed some raking done. So this Saturday we spent a long time raking their yard in our skirts. I really didn't think that there were that many leaves, but it turned out their were. We ended up filling 30 trash bags with leaves and one with sticks. Another blessing, the Elders walked by and they helped us finish up. The yard looks alot nicer and I hope they appreciate it. It was one of the happiest days here in the mission.

On Saturday as well we went to sonic, because it is free and we didn't have dinner. We met a man and it was his first time to ever go to sonic. So we helped him use the machine to order. Afterwards we started talking to him (yep we are missionaries). It broke my heart. His heart was so hard. There are so many people in the world who use reason and science to explain everything. They cannot see past the bad in the world. My heart actually broke.

Another great story. We went by a less active members house the other day and one of our investigators just happened to be there. Her family hasn't been progressing that much. This young girl got a lip ring. We started talking about how our bodies are temples and this led to talking about temples. And eventually to her saying that she has felt the spirit when we have talked to her. Well she wants to get baptized. This is another evidence that as missionaries we don't do anything - I mean I can barely speak some days. The spirit really does it all. But I can tell you that as a missionary, the Lord really does bless us. People can tell that there we are different.

Another good one. We went to visit this less active member. We were talking to her son and his friend for a long time. During this time we were standing on the porch. I could tell that there was something that was making them laugh. It took me a second to figure out what it was.....the Hermana was driving around ..... avoiding us. This made me laught so hard. Because I saw it early on but was not sure that this was her car. Ohh my! It was so hilarious and we were out there for like 15 minutes :) So family - I feel bad for anytime that we didn't open the door/ avoid "church people" when we were inactive! Right after this - there had been two tiny dogs following us around - these two dogs got in our car lol.

Food. I love the food here, but at times it does not like me. At dinners I really try to finish my plate, sometimes this seems like an impossible task. The other day we were eating Pasolie (I have no idea how to spell it), but she gave us this huge bowl. I had no idea how to finish it. I got close. So when I get back I might have to get a personal trainer lol!

We are teaching alot. I can definately tell that my mission is going to change the way I look at alot of things. It alread has. I love these people. I love the small things that I see them do. I love seeing the gospel make a difference in their lives. One less active member, Hermana Infante, is sick. She works all the time and takes care of her family. She was talking about all the things she was worried about. We taught her about the blessing of paying tithing. She realized she needs these blessing. It was so wonderful. I love it when we can teach principles that will change their lives.

I love all of you and appreaciate every word that I get from you. Please continue to send mail. I love mail more than I love eating....if that tells you anything. I appreciate all that you do at home and love hearing all of your stories. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of you and that the gospel is very true.

Next week I will attach some pictures! Be excited!

I love you all,
Hermana Spencer

P.S. I haven't started driving yet....I'm a little bit glad, but I think it is going to happen this week. By the way transfers are coming up and who knows what is going to happen. We have 1 new spanish sister coming. 2 going home. 1 sister that has been out one transfer longer than me. Hermana Thomas and I. Hermana Day and her MTC companion (10 months). That is it! Awwwwwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment